Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The girl from the Spicy Thai




The girl from the Spicy thai (Spicy Thai Ballad pt 2)

It must have been around a quarter to five
The setting was CocoNuts live
Clubbing isn’t exactly my way of life
I must have walked a thousand times around the club
Looking for consolation for the excessive money I’d wasted
The music was loud and it was the same old crowd
I kept wondering what I was doing there
I leaned towards the balcony of the VIP, overseeing the dance floor
I scanned it, for nothing in particular
Then my eyes stopped, as I recognized a figure
Soft cinnamon-like skin, a picture perfect grin
and in the company of two friends from the orient?
I’d only seen her once before, but I was sure this was the girl from the Thai restaurant
The one that left me smitten, for over a year I wondered if I’d ever see her
My face lit up but I hesitated to man up
My shoulder angel and devil once again rebelled
-“Your heart is saying go”
-“ But your gut is saying no”
-“You’re a shy guy”
-“But you can spread your wings and fly, you’re in it to win”
- “Don’t listen to him, she’s a perfect 10, she’ll give you the hand”
- “If that’s so at least you’ll know. Make your move, people are leaving and the clock is ticking”
- “You don’t even have a pick up line”
- “Like what? Aren’t you tired from running across my mind?”
And then I said, “hush you two, I’m just going to tell her the truth”
So I took one big breath and I went down the flight of steps and to the left
I beamed a smile, that inspired her another smile
Then I said softly to her ear, “I wrote you a poem last year”
She replied with an overwhelmed smile, “really?”
I said, “You once placed my order at the Spicy Thai. When you brought the bill, I realized I’d forgotten my wallet. Silly me, I’m that guy!”
“Oh yeah I remember your face! I left the restaurant for my uncle’s place”
-“I noticed you left, I always wondered where you went”
She laughed, “Me and my friends are about to leave, but give me your number please”
-“Definitely, 082932102”
We exchanged names and she said, “I’ll text you before I go to bed”
-“OK, it was a pleasure”
A kiss on each cheek and that was the wrap
Inside I was a nervous wreck but I took the 1st step to full effect
I made a fist with my sweaty hands and said to myself, “YES!!”
I was so over the moon, I told the people I knew that the girl had my number and she’d call me soon
They were too drunk to care less but I’d slam dunked and I had to get it of my chest
-“Yes!!!”, to the beat I said, “YES, Oh God, YES!!”
Although my inbox was empty when I shut my eyes, I called it a night
The next day, I was daydreaming of her in the morning
Anxious for her text in the afternoon
Watching the clock tick in the evening
But in my heart I knew she hadn’t deceived me
Then at night beep beep “Hi, I’m the girl from the Spicy Thai. This is my number. Smooch”
By then my smile was following me
She texted me before she went to bed, literally
And that’s how it started, my heart would never be the same
Edgar Munguambe 220809



No comments:

Post a Comment