Wednesday, September 15, 2010

I can't get over you

Me performing "I can't get over you" @ Gil Vicente bar, Maputo

I can't get over you (spicy thai ballad pt 3)

I haven’t seen you since last September, it’s been so long
But I still remember what you had on.
You donned an orange top, golden cornrows and some flops
I wanted us to have lunch,
But tick tock you were in a rush,
So you caught a cab and that was the last of us
Soon after that I had to go to college,
Errands and bad timing didn’t permit us to say goodbye, I acknowledge it
Time passed, as a matter of fact,
It’s been a year since we had any contact
When I came back home
I called you but you must have changed your phone
Because all I heard was a busy tone
I could have visited you by surprise,
But I held my pride
Telling myself I would move on but it was all lies
Every time I pass by the restaurant where I first saw you,
I think about the first moment that inspired the first poem I wrote you
Cupid struck me as I crossed the threshold,
You had me at hello,
And I still walk around with that arrow
Every time I see a fine girl in the distance,
My heart flutters for an instant,
Could it be you? It never is, how can I get out of this trance?
My mind keeps playing tricks
Even when I’m scrolling through my cellphone pics
My homegirl even asked, “Who is that chick?
Besides all the cell pics of your other peeps,
You look at that one with a glow in your eyes that never lies”
I can’t get over you.
Is it so obvious that your memory is not oblivious?
This is vicious
I even hooked up,
But needless to say, I couldn’t fall in love
I would kiss her, thinking of you
And the first time we kissed under the full moon
It was profound and deep,
I even pinched myself to check if I was asleep
It didn’t take a while to see that this new relationship was futile
From time to time she would say or do,
Something that reminded me of you
I called it quits, I was through
Because I can’t get over you, that’s the truth
Though there are lots of girls to mingle,
For months I then tried to stay single,
I thought it would be the best way to deal with it, yet still,
What we had was so real
I can’t get over you, it’s an ordeal
You are on my mind all the time, what a common rhyme
Those memories, those dates, your messages, your body,
Your walk, your talk, your lips, your kiss, your photos, your odour,
I give up! I’m letting my guard down.
I’ll put this pen down and come around
To say it in your eyes that though time flies
I just can’t get over you, I love you
                                                                                                   Edgar Munguambe  050607


No comments:

Post a Comment