Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The evolution of hair


The evolution of hair, this is something I'm passionate about. Falling under the love in "Life, love and lyrics". Hair is such a big issue among people of African descent. People go through such extent to chemically straighten, blow up, add extensions, add braids, add weaves and wigs. Most of these styles aren't even healthy, chemicals destroy the roots and extensions and weaves aren't particularly higienic (or cheap, going at $1000!). I always wonder why Africans in general don't embrace their natural hair, like back in the Black Panther days. Unmanageable? please, short hair, plats, afros and dreadlocks are not unmanegeable. You can always apply a softner if you feel the comb doesnt go through your Afro! I started my dreads in July 2007, some people questioned them, asking if I wash them, if I converted to Rastafarianism, assumed I was one. Camon!! Black people know so little about something that is originally African and timeless! Jerry curls came and went, the faded "MC hammer" style came and went, cornrows are dissapearing but dreads are timeless! I tell these people that dreadlocks, if well treated, compliment your natural beauty, are clean, and relatively cheap. It is a fashion statement, I'm showing the people that they do not have to be afraid of themselves

July 2007: This looks like a job for Nubian-Man!
Dreadlocks' humble beginnings 07/08/07
                                                                             

27/05/08 in negative


                                          
23/08/08

16/10/08
                                                                                        
26/08/09

07/03/10

I gotta say, I'm quite satisfied 21/03/10



No comments:

Post a Comment